Coldplay is a British rock band, formed in London in 1996. The group comprises vocalist and guitarist Chris Martin, lead guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman, and drummer Will Champion. Since the release of their debut album Parachutes in 2000, Coldplay have sold over 100 million records worldwide, making them one of the world’s bestselling music artists. Their singles “Speed of Sound” and “Viva la Vida” both reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 and UK Singles Chart respectively; the former also topped charts elsewhere.
The band has won numerous awards throughout their career, including nine Brit Awards (winning Best British Group three times), six MTV Video Music Awards, seven Grammy Awards (winning Best Rock Album twice), and eight Ivor Novello Awards. In December 2009, Rolling Stone readers voted the group the fourth-best artist of the 2000s. Coldplay have been an active supporter of various social and political causes, such as Oxfam’s Make Trade Fair campaign and Amnesty International. The group have also performed at various charity projects such as Band Aid 20, Live 8, Sound Relief, and the Teenage Cancer Trust.
1) Coldplay formed in 1996 when lead singer Chris Martin met guitarist Jonny Buckland at University College London (UCL).
2) The band took their name from a book of child development that Martin had been reading: “Cold Play” by Susan Jeffers.
3) Before settling on their current name, the band considered a number of other monikers, including Starfish, Pectoralz, and Shuttle.
4) The band’s debut album, “Parachutes,” was released in 2000 and earned them a Mercury Prize nomination.
5) In 2002, Coldplay won two Brit Awards: Best British Group and Best British Album for “A Rush of Blood to the Head.”
6) In 2003, the band released their second album, “X&Y,” which debuted at number one in more than 30 countries.
7) In 2005, Coldplay were voted by Rolling Stone readers as the fourth-best artist of the decade.
8 ) In 2008, Coldplay released their fourth album, “Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends.” The album debuted at number one in more than 30 countries and won the Grammy Award for Best Rock Album.
9) In 2010, Coldplay released their fifth album, “Mylo Xyloto,” which debuted at number one in over 20 countries.
10) In 2012, Coldplay were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.